Sunday, August 24, 2008

Finally...

Well, the 2008 Summer Olympics finally ended tonight after 16 long days of fierce competition. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch the Olympics and see certain events, but at times, it seemed as if the Olympics were everywhere I went. The first memory I have of the Olympics is from 1980, the winter games from Lake Placid. I know most of you are saying, "oh sure, you're just saying that to talk about the US Hockey team." Yes and no. I do remember watching the hockey game, but it was on tape delay. For a southern kid like me, hockey was a fringe sport at best. And being 9 years old, I really couldn't grasp the concept of USA vs the USSR. I saw it as a good vs evil match, but not to the extent that underlined the spectacle. But I look back now and watch the TV specials regarding this historic moment and I realize that it's something quite special. But back in 1980, it was just another win for the US of A.

But back to these Olympic games. What about that Micheal Phelps? Is he human, or the Man from Atlantis (sorry Patrick Duffy)? This brings me to two points regarding the Olympics:
  1. I can honestly say that I witnessed the 8 races of Micheal Phelps, all 8 of them history making. Like the 1980 USA Hockey Team, this was a special moment. You could feel the pride that his parents felt, and most Americans did as well. 8 fricking gold medals!!! I can tell Charlie about this a few years from now, and I hope he understands how hard it was for Micheal to accomplish this feat. And I also hope that one day, Charlie can witness something just as amazing.
  2. But this brings me to my second point. In this day and age of doping and steroids, I hope that Micheal Phelps swam without the help of something other than training and hard work. This problem of doping etc has made me jaded towards the Olympics and all the records that fall etc etc. After the Marion Jones debacle earlier this year, is it a little bit fishy that the USA track team didn't do so hot? Please don't let that be the case with Micheal Phelps. If it is, God help us.

But now the Olympics are over and we have to wait for the Winter Olympics of 2010. Until then, I leave you with a video of some of the best Olympic moments. Enjoy!


No comments: